1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carrying kayak upside down on car racks

Discussion in 'Product and Technical Support' started by Newfish, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Newfish

Newfish New Member

I was thinking of putting the gt90 on my Revo, but I transport my kayak upside down on my Yakima racks. I have no padding on the racks. Will the gear track become damaged?

2. JKay

JKay New Member

While I can't answer your exact question, I can at least point you to where you can get decent pads at a reasonable price. I bought 2 sets of the pads that they sell at Austin Kayak. I have them on my Yakima rack and the rack on my wife's minivan. You can get the non-logo version and they don't look bad at all. I used to use my rack without padding, but one of my kayaks now has a fiberglass hull, so forget about the no padding option! With the pads on, I also don't worry about the GT90 tracks. I have them installed on my Revo and sometimes the tracks are right on the pads. No problem. Hope this helps.

3. YakAttack

YakAttack Guest

If the GearTrac is going to line up with the racks I would put some padding. Otherwise it will likely damage the anodized finish on either the GearTrac or the rack.