1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Casting For a Cause: Cheering on Chad

Discussion in 'YakAttack Supported Events' started by Chris Montgomery, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Chris Montgomery

Chris Montgomery New Member

I am a senior at Carl Albert High School in Midwest City, Oklahoma, where I am currently enrolled in a Leadership Class. Each year, our school participates in a student-driven event called "SWAG (Students with a Goal) Week" to raise money to benefit a local community member in need. This year we are working to support an alumnus who is battling a serious lung infection related to Cystic Fibrosis, a chronic condition that currently has no cure. Our slogan at school is “Once a Titan, always a Titan” and we consider it a privilege to be able to support someone that once walked our halls. This cause is also special to me personally because Chad is the son of my former 3rd grade teacher.

As part of the class, I have been tasked with pairing up with my partner, Emily Norman, and organizing events to raise a portion of the funds to be donated. A few years ago I discovered the sport of kayak fishing and since have become very passionate about it. To say that I love the sport would be an understatement. Because I am so passionate about the sport, I decided to organize a charity kayak fishing tournament as one of our SWAG Week activities.

With the help of an awesome kayak fishing community, we were able to raise over $1700 for a young girl battling cancer at last year's Casting for a Cause tournament. We hope to make this year's tournament even better!

The tournament will be hosted at Dripping Springs Lake in Okmulgee, Oklahoma, April 2nd, 2017. Registration will begin at 6:00, captains meeting at 6:45, and launch will be around 7. Check-in will be at noon, and lunch will be available for a small donation (all proceeds go to the beneficiary). The tournament will have a $20 entry fee, and a $10 big bass jackpot. Lots of great door prizes will be given out!

Link to the event page:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/203857573430348/