1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiberglass Hatch Covers

Discussion in 'DIY' started by The Nothing, Jan 7, 2012.

1. The Nothing

The Nothing New Member

This was actually one of the first mods I made to my Ocean Kayak several years ago. Replacing the flimsy plastic RodPod cover with a sturdy built fiberglass cover that would offer a better water seal, and sturdy enough to give me some extra usability..

I like the Rod Pod found on Ocean Kayak Prowler Tridents, but if you’ve done some reading around online, you might have seen complaints about the Rod Pod lid can leak around the seal if its not seated just right. This should take care of things, but that wasn’t the point of this project. I felt the Rod Pod lid could be made much more useful. There’s a lot of space there, and the plastic the lid is made out of is just, well, too flimsy to do much with.

So out came the tape:
    [​IMG]

and then the epoxy resin and glass
    [​IMG]

and then more epoxy and glass
    [​IMG]

and then the test fit came
    [​IMG]

I didn’t bother taking any pics while joining the two pieces. But I ran strips from the top piece to the bottom on the outside, then some matting on the inside….

The final layer went on with black dye. Was gonna rattle can it, but this will be scratch resistant…

Heres the final test fit
    [​IMG]

The all important water test!
    [​IMG]

and this should give you an idea of how much space i’ve gained between the knees!
    [​IMG]

in use at a tournament last month.
    [​IMG]

you’ll notice the center tray is sticking up. I dropped a small LED light down there to illuminate the trays to make it easier to find whatever gear i was looking for. I had started fishing that day just before sunrise, and a thick fog layer kept things pretty dark for while.

In the years since I built the cover, Ocean Kayak has come out with their own new ModPod (still waiting for my check :p), but this one is still holding very well. I've installed a pair of Ram Mounts at the far end, one used for my AquaBox, and the other for my rod holder. At the near end, I've installed a 4" hatch.

The lid is STRONG. I’ve stood on it a few times just to test things out, and have lifted my kayak by it as well. Not had any problems sitting sidesaddle, but it would be easier to scoot to the front of the yak with some 5″ wide trays instead of my 8″ trays… I had to keep things shallow enough that I can still get rods and such stored under the lid, and so far so good.

2. YakAttack

YakAttack Guest

That's some serious DIY there!

3. The Nothing

The Nothing New Member

Thanks! I've been thinking about replacing the front hatch as well, as I'm just not a big fan of the hatches that came on the plastic. Just seems too soft to me, and as the temperature changes through the day, I've watched the front hatch loosen up in the straps. Not ideal. Since the fiberglass is molded around the lip, they're more secure and, with just a bit of truck canopy tape, more waterproof as well.

4. n2bassfishing

n2bassfishing New Member

Great idea. I wouldn't have thought about doing that.

5. Yak Chum

Yak Chum Administrator Staff Member

Im curious how much does that hatch cover weigh?

6. The Nothing

The Nothing New Member

It's light. I'd have to scrounge it back up to weight it. Unfortunately the kayak had a major incident, but now that I'm also on JK staff I've been thinking about making a similar hatch for my Cuda.