1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First few mods

Discussion in 'General Kayak Rigging' started by SkyPainter, Aug 12, 2015.

1. SkyPainter

SkyPainter New Member

New here.... getting the first kayak this Saturday. I say 'first' because I tend to go ...ummm...overboard (wrong term?) :) with any hobby I take up! I am just now recovering from BAS (Banjo Acquisition Syndrome), and just know - based on what I have seen in a short time here and on the tube, that I need to lock my wallet away now!

SO - that being said, what are the first few things YOU would add to a naked kayak? I plan on an Anchor Trolly System, Lighting, Milk Crate/Black Box with Rod Launchers, Some track strips on both sides for rod holders and other gear, and a higher-end paddle. I'd start there, I guess.

GoPros and Fishfinder will come second, I already have several anchors from another boat (a Porta-Bote-Google it!) but am now amped-up by Kayak fishing! Took my youngest daughter out paddling/fishing on the Charles River in Boston in rented 12' Pungo recreational yaks, and had a ball! But need a fishing kayak I can outfit. Getting an Ascend FS12 this Saturday, and will learn about gear installation and what I like/need/dislike on that one. Then I think a Ride 115 will be next, after I make my mistakes on the FS12.

So what would be your first few mods?

Thanks in advance for any input!

~ Sky

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  2. SkyPainter

SkyPainter New Member

Well, I went to Bass Pro today to try out sitting in both the Ascend FS10 and FS12 (Both angling sit-ins), and the FS12T sit-on-top. The FS10, while well-designed was actually way too small for me with my legs and size 11.5 feet! It was comfortable to sit in because of the seat, but I could not pull my toes up once inside, and scraped my shins while trying to get out. Time for plan B. The FS 12 was perfectly matched to me, and is the winner. The FS12T SOT was okay, bit of a barge, and the build quality was suspect to me. The inner scupper holes were not well matched, and could be an easy entry point for water into the hull. So I pick-up the Ascend FS12 on Saturday, and begin the long process of tinkering with mods for it. YakAttack may need to put a third shift on! :D

~ Sky

3. SMartin

SMartin New Member

Here is mine that I just set up in three weeks. Wife says I need to lock my wallet away also. She is always saying "Don't you have ANY hobbies that don't cost anything" This is my first video so, not the greatest but you'll get a general idea. One thing not in the vid. is my cellblock with FF and transducer arm.

4. SMartin

SMartin New Member

5. SkyPainter

SkyPainter New Member

Nice work! Gave me some ideas! I picked-up the Ascend FS12 today, along with a Thule "Hullavator" to get it to the roof of my Xterra. Got a few things already, but need to plan the layout for everything. Picked-up a milk crate, but may be ordering the BlackPac, and already have a three-rod launcher set to put on a crate. Got extra cleats, a zig zag cleat, a Rivet gun with rivets, and a kayak cart. I have an anchor, getting a VisiPole Pro, and figuring out where to put all this for my fishing styles. I am a fly fishing instructor, and a certified fishing Master Instructor for the state of Mass Angler Education Program. This will be a rigged fishing machine when I am done. Next up is a Native Propel 13, but first boats first!

Thanks for sharing your modification journey!

~ Sky

6. SMartin

SMartin New Member

I'm lad you liked it. Sorry it wasn't shot better. I will be doing another one shortly which will have my fish finder and transducer set up which I forgot to put on before the video. As a FF myself and not sure how comfortable or stable my kayak will be for standing, I'm thinking of getting the stand n fish outriggers and leaning platform. This option is very expensive so it will be awhile before that happens. The same sight has a leaning post with a stripper basket attached. Stay tuned and thank you for your comment, seems your well on your way. I hope my video has helped you some.