1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear Trac Install with Included Screws...Little Help Needed

Discussion in 'GearTrac' started by sethmac, Apr 1, 2012.

1. sethmac

sethmac New Member

I just installed an 8in GearTrac on my Ride 135. I was meticulous about drilling the holes and very slowly hand tightening each screw. Six of the eight screws went in fine, but even when being careful, two screws never became snug (the plastic is stripped). Do I need to replace these with screws and nuts? This geartrac will hold my VisiCarbon Pro and a Panfish.

Thanks

2. YakAttack

YakAttack Guest

The Ride has pretty thick plastic. Once the screws are just snug that's tight enough.

You'll be fine with 6 of the 8. Keep the other two in and they will help even though they are stripped. But 4 screws in an 8" GearTrac will be enough for most applications.

If it makes you feel better you can replace those with screws and nuts. Or you can wait for the FullBack backing plate. There will be a version for the GearTrac and it will be available in about 2 weeks. Looks like they will retail for around $5.

3. Knot Right

Knot Right New Member

sethmac,
    I have done this twice now when trying to "mess up" the install on a trash boat in the back yard. The only two that I got to strip were still watertight when I tested it (poured water, not standing). To "fix it" I removed the screws and hit it with my heat gun for about 20-30 seconds. I then screwed the screws back in and let it cool, done deal. I agree with Luther that it isn't really an issue, but if you feel the need to go the extra mile, this is a great option. If you wanna go even further and put some plastic back in the whole, heat and fill it and then start over, just let me know and I will drop some in the mail.
    Thanks,
    Chad

4. sethmac

sethmac New Member

Thanks for the tip! Worked like a charm.