1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear Track for a cooler.

Discussion in 'General Kayak Rigging' started by STLKayak, May 10, 2016.

1. STLKayak

STLKayak New Member

I recently picked up a new cooler for the back of my Pro Angler 14. I had purchased an Orion 45 in Jungle Camo, but I just did not like the way it looked with my Olive PA. It was one hell of a cooler though. Anyway, bought a Coleman Steel Belted 54 quart in matte black. It fits my PA like it was made for it. ACK is sending me a 9" H-Rail to add to the back of the cooler tomorrow, but I want to add some 12" gear tracks to both sides.

What would you all suggest? I want to use the tracks for a couple of the verticls tie downs to strap the cooler to my Kayak, and another option for placing a ram ball or two. I have the GT90 mounted on my BlackPak, but really don't want to thru bolt the track Also, are there color options for the non-plastic gear track? Looking for something stronger than the GT90, but also in dark gray or black. I am confused by the different options of gear track. Anyone have a good break down of the differences, strengths and

2. Yak Chum

Yak Chum Administrator Staff Member

Spectralite (plastic) is pretty strong and available in 5 colors I believe. Aluminum is the strongest but only available in a gray anodized. For tying down a cooler the spectra-light in a gt 90 should be fine. Thru bolt will be strongest in all applications. Not sure what material the cooler is made from or the thickness of it. It may be a thing shell covering foam then a thin shell. Drilling holes in any cooler is never a good idea.

GT175 are strongest due to amount of anchor points (not available in plastic) GT 175 Gen 2 just as strong less weight available in both side loading and top loading configurations. GT90 is also available in top loading but for the strongest install would require the backing plate.

Not sure why you would put a rail on a cooler or add excessive holes.?

3. STLKayak

STLKayak New Member

Ah, you assume I am just making a cooler. I am still interested in the Orion, I just don't like the way the Jungle Camo looked with my Olive Pro Angler 14. There is an Orion dealer near Kentucky lake that I am going to run by tomorrow. Want to see how the Forest Camo looks. I am a stickler for aesthetics, at least my own sense of them.

That being said, I picked up a Coleman Steel Belted 54qt cooler in matte black. And yes, I know that black and cooler does not mix well, but I figure it would make a great interim cooler until I find a good 10 day that I will use for longer trips and camping.

The plan is to turn this one into a day cooler, dry storage, live well combo. It fits perfectly behind the seat of the PA - almost like it was made for it. I have already installed a 9" H-rail to the rear, and have a tackle bin hanging from it. Gives me a place in easy reach to store 4 small Plano boxes, since I cannot fit my blackpak and cooler in the rear tank well at the same time...and if I could, would need monkey arms to reach into it. I want to put a 12" gear track on each side, to use for the YakAttack gear strap mounts, as well as a couple of additional rod holders on 1.5" ram balls. The plan is to also craft a removable bubbler to help aerate when holding my catch (I only keep crappie, blue g's and whites), or even keep them on ice if it is hot out.

The cooler is shelled in metal, with foam insulation and the only thru bolts are from the H-rail, which I drilled and siliconed well. I think I am going to order the GT175's. I will drill small starter holes, silicone them and then screw it down. Should be plenty strong considering the metal on metal attachment, the number of screws, and the screws also look short enough to not penetrate the inside of the cooler. The only other hole would be for the bubbler tube, that I want to make detachable and maybe a vent hole that could be plugged on the other side. I also want to modify the bubbler to attach to the gear track, something like one of the Frabill battery operated aerators. Anyway, that is the plan, like most of mine, this will be a work in process.

I think the grey/aluminum of the GT175 will look fine with the matte black cooler. I just was not sure of the differences in the tracks. Thanks for that info, and hope I did not bore to many with my long worded response. Will post some pictures when I get this done, if anyone is interested.