1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GearTrac Jr?

Discussion in 'New Products' started by Hanover_Yakker, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hanover_Yakker

Hanover_Yakker Member

I like the idea of the Jr version of the GearTrac or is it the Lite version? Anyway, I have one suggestion on the design from an injury/preservation perspective.

The vertical orientation could also be a challenge when loading and unloading on certain racks for those of us that transport the kayak hull side up. They might get hung up or potentially damaged if loaded incorrectly or even worse get hung up on someone's clothing. I am just thinking about the edges of the track on the ends potentially being a place where hands or knuckles could get banged pretty good.

What would be the feasibility of designing the same lite or jr version but having the sides sloping down with solid aluminum stock as well as sloping at the ends versus a vertical side like it is now?

Not sure how that would affect structural integrity of the product or decrease its strength coefficient, but just a thought......

2. fshn_brb

fshn_brb New Member

I was thinking the same thing Chuck. A tapered end seems to be a fairly easy way to combat this. I dont think it would have to be a very shallow taper either.

3. YakAttack

YakAttack Guest

It's not quite that simple. When you taper the end you create a different edge in a different plane. The only way around that is to round the edges like we do now, but by then you've eliminated a lot of the taper and added a lot of cost in the machining. We looked into this with the GT175 (original GearTrac) and determined to round the edges as we have done and declined tapering them. Likely to be the same outcome for the GT100.

4. Striperguy

Striperguy New Member

Hi Luther, I am trying to find a way to use your Gear Trac on my Cuda but the narrow Cuda sides (between the seat and foot rests) make it a challenge. I believe I have a way by creating a T-type frame out of aluminum and place it between the foot rest channel and the Cuda sides so as to have a flat just above the Cuda irregular gunwhale surface. I would then add Starboard (actually a similar material found on eBay) to the T-frame to elevate the whole mechanism just above the foot rest channel and Cuda gunwhale. Then I would add an 8" Gear Trac, and other rod holders to it. BUT, just maybe I want to wait until the Gear Trac Jr. is out to see if there is an advantage to using a smaller channel product like a Jr. Can you provide any teaser information on the profile and dimensions (what makes it a Jr. or lite weight unit) so I can make the decision to wait or to just go ahead and order the standard product? Or I can drop you a PM if you prefer.

5. YakAttack

YakAttack Guest

Sorry I missed your post Striperguy,

I'm finalizing the design of the new GearTrac now. The current model is 1.75" wide - it's the GT175. The next model will be GT090, and is .900" (just over 7/8") wide. It's the same width as the raised portion of the GT175.

Other than that I can tell you the GT090 will also be shorter than the GT175. Right now it looks like it will be .400" - 20% shorter than the GT175.

It will also have more than one fastening option. The first option - the one that will be available when we launch it - will be screws on the inside of the slot down the center of the track. Later on we will introduce other options.

We've also added features to it that will make it a better fit in a variety of applications. More on that later.

The last thing is that it will be less expensive than the GT175. It should come in around 20% less. It will be lighter duty, but with proper installation it should handle most applications just fine. We'll make recommendation on what applications it's best suited for once we can do testing on the production parts.

6. Striperguy

Striperguy New Member

Thanks Luther,
    It sounds good. I will be anxiously awaiting it.

7. Lt.FireDog

Lt.FireDog Administrator

Looking forward for the new addition to the GearTrac line.....I think the GT090 will be perfect for both my Ocean Kayak Trident 13 & Ultra 4.7.

8. SCHNUPPDAWG1

SCHNUPPDAWG1 New Member

Will be perfect for my Jackson Coosa

9. thundercleese

thundercleese New Member

Is the jr version about out yet? Like striperguy I just measured my kayak (Hobie revolution) and was bummed that the gunnels are a little too narrow. I want to mount a rod holder on it for saltwater trolling, I hope fullback-ish mounting options are available for it.

10. JohnYaksJax

JohnYaksJax New Member

I agree with the previous post about the gunnels/side rails on the Hobie Revolution are difficult to rig with rodholders...they are very narrow!!

I have a Revo 11 and sell many of them here in JAX and I am looking for a soution on how to mount the Scotty Rodholder Model 280 Baitcaster/Spinner on them.

I am wondering if the GT090 will fit on them.
    Thanks to Luther or anyone who can provide a solution!!
    JohnYaksJax

11. YakAttack

YakAttack Guest

Yes the GT90 will fit the Hobie Revo as will the backing plates for it. We've started production and they will start shipping around Aug 29!

12. JohnYaksJax

JohnYaksJax New Member

Thanks for the quick answer, Luther!!

I have some of the new ones pre-sold already....to a customer who is buying a Revo 13 from me tomorrow...and to ME for my Revo 11.
    I just sent your answer to Joe Butler...our owner at Black Creek Outfitters where I work....and I look forward to selling your products thru them!!
    Thanks again....JohnYaksJax

13. thundercleese

thundercleese New Member

This is great news. Any more detail available? What sort of load is recommended with the backing plates?

14. Lt.FireDog

Lt.FireDog Administrator

John, the new Scotty Gear-Head Track Adapter will work perfectly with the new GT090, which will allow you to mount up that Model 280 with ease!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  15. thundercleese

thundercleese New Member

This

This is awesome! Is this also coming on the 29th?

16. Lt.FireDog

Lt.FireDog Administrator

Scotty announced a "fall" release date.

17. JohnYaksJax

JohnYaksJax New Member

Hey Lt.FireDog.....nice to see that you are in here since you always add good content to the JKF site!!!

And you did it once again with this info...THANKS!!!

I will take THREE please.....and THREE of the shortest pieces of the GT090 too....and we will be carrying both soon at the Outfitters where I work!!
    Thx.....John

18. billybob

billybob New Member

I have been waiting for the jr to come out as well. Any dealers in Canada that will have them soon? I will check on the Scotty release date for their new gear head as their plant is here in Victoria.
    Billybob

19. thundercleese

thundercleese New Member

I see the GT90 is out, and was about to order some, but I found a thread in which a yakattack person says 'Yes. It's different than the current FullBack but we will have a backing plate for the GT90.' Is there a backing plate on it's way? If so I will wait for it.

20. YakAttack

YakAttack Guest

Backing plate is ready and started shipping today. Should be on the site tomorrow.