1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GearTrac .... not just for Yaks!!!

Discussion in 'GearTrac' started by JimW, Aug 17, 2012.

1. JimW

JimW New Member

Hello new to this board, from Ottawa, Canada. I'm not a Yak Fisherman yet, but thinking about it, lots of good kayaking water where I live.

Last year I bought a deep V multi-species aluminum boat and I wanted to add a track system so I could install removeable rod holders and other accesories, but due to my boat gunnels being a bit too narrow for the track systems most people install on the larger fishing boats I opted to add 24" hand rails to attach my Scotty rod holders to.

[​IMG]

The rails worked ok but did get in the way a bit when not using rod holders. Seraching the web the other day, I discovered YakAttack and the GearTrac.

The tracks being only 1.75" wide and 0.5" high I thought they would be perfect for my narrow boat gunnels. I found a pair of 12" GearTracs at a local canoe and kayak shop, and picked up a couple of the Scotty Kit Mighty Mounts as well.

Using the included drill bit and some 1" #10 stainless steel machine screws I picked up, I drilled the pilot holes and slowly put in the screws by hand.

A nice and easy install....

[​IMG]

GearTrac with Scotty mount and double Ocra rod holders....

[​IMG]

Plan on ordering some more GearTrac and Mighty Mounts next week to increase my rod holder set up options and for a few other ideas I have and waiting for the new Scotty Track Adapters to come out in October for an even cleaning looking set up

The GearTrac seems like a great product can wait to try it out and to add some more track on the boat.

Jim Wilson
    Athens District High School Fishing Team Coach
    Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters member
    Ottawa Region Walleye League member

2. YakAttack

YakAttack Guest

Great install Jim! Thanks for sharing that!

3. BigYaker

BigYaker Guest

Very clean install... now all we have to do is get you in a kayak :D

4. JimW

JimW New Member

Started installing some of my new GearTrac I ordered a few weeks ago. Adding a 16" Gear Trac on each gunnel for a total of 28" on each side. One side done, will also be adding some GearTrac to the stern of my boat. Hoping to finish this week weather permitting.

[​IMG]

Just waiting for the Scotty Gear Head Track Adapters to hit the stores, to make it an even cleaning looking set up.

JimW

5. GlockGuy

GlockGuy Member

Nice work, Jim!

6. Shaun

Shaun Member

Very nice!!!

7. YakAttack

YakAttack Guest

Looks great Jim!

8. Tractorjet

Tractorjet New Member

My Dad runs a Lund 2025 Pro V and does a lot of trolling for walleye.
    I turned him on to YakAttack and he is hooked (along with some hog walleyes)

Next time I get to fish with him, I'll get some photos of his setup.

9. JimW

JimW New Member

Tractorjet I would love to see some photos of YakTracks on your Dads Lund. I am always looking for new ideas.

Well my boat has been away since mid January, and I only went out ice fishing this year a couple times. Hopefully the boat will be back in the water in a couple weeks for some early spring brown trout and salmon, before walleye season starts in early May.

As always I am thinking of new things to add to the boat. I still have two 12" tracks to attach..... plus I picked up 6 of the Scotty Track Adapters to use this coming season, should make for a nice clean seat up, with 2 or 3 rods per side of the boat.

[​IMG]

For most of my fishing I use Scotty Orca rod holders but I do a bit of slamon and trout fishing using wire line rods pulling dipsy divers so I wanted a couple rod holders made of metal, such as Bert's, Big John's or Cannon rod holders. Unfortunately all of these rod holders are designed for the 3" wide track. So they were not going to fit............

Well I just bought a Cannon Single Axis Adjustable rod holder today, and replaced the screw knobs it came with with Mighty Bolts and it slides into the YakTrack perfectly. The screw holes in the rod holder base are threaded, so I think I will have to "drill out" the threads so I can "clamp" the Might Bolt down tighter. But with a bit of planning I think I will have my new rod holder set up to run my wireline rods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I can't wait to try the set up out this spring for Great Lakes salmon.

JimW

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  10. JimW

JimW New Member

Fixed photos.

JimW

11. Neil Taylor

Neil Taylor New Member

Very nice. I believe that Yak Attack accessories have a huge opportunity in the non-kayak world. Talk about ease of rigging and removable features, I believe that you will see a lot more people figuring it out.