1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GoPro Hero3 or Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS

Discussion in 'Camera and Video' started by USAntigoon, Nov 27, 2012.

1. USAntigoon

USAntigoon New Member

I was leaning towards buying a GoPro Hero3 camera....However, reading up on all the initial experiences with the new Hero3 it seams that GoPro was not ready to release this product. It also might have reached the threshold of limitations.. How much more features can you integrate into an ever smaller camera and still expect reliability, quality and repeatability.. Once I am on the water, I like it to work..
    I was looking around for an alternative and found this Tough TG-1 iHS camera from Olympus. With a f2.0 high speed lens and 1080p full HD video, waterproof and a 3" OLED monitor. Alas no remote features are available...Does anyone on the forum here has any experience with this Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS..
    Thanks

2. Aussie yakker Brendon

Aussie yakker Brendon Member

Hi, I recently went through the same process and ended up buying the Nikon waterproof camera Coolpix AW100 that also lacks a remote and have found it to be less than satisfactory in use especially on a pole as each time you want to use the timer you have to turn the camera back to where you can see it and do 3 button pushes as it wont stay in timer mode....
    I would suggest you try and find out if the Olympus will stay in timer mode and just requires the shutter button pushed.
    I think it would be worth the effort to find something that will work with a remote.
    I am most likely going to get a GoPro 3 black in a few months and leave it on a pole and keep the Nikon in my vest pocket even though I prefer to shoot stills to video.
    I hope this is of some help.
    Brendon

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  3. USAntigoon

USAntigoon New Member

Thanks Brendon for the feedback.
    The raised points about the self timer mode details are very good and I need to explore this a bit further..

This next link will reveal some of the issues with the current GoPro Hero3..
    http://www.goprofanatics.com/gopro-hd-hero3/

Indeed wait a few months before ordering a Hero3 and if you do, the Black edition seems to be the best as it inludes the remote features..(I like to see how they are going to resolve all their Quality and Reliability issues)
    Also the Hero3 might not be that good in the still mode, hence your suggestion makes sense..
    My intended camera usage will be more for kayak trips with family and friends, less for the fishing endeavors....I like to have both good stills and video...

4. Aussie yakker Brendon

Aussie yakker Brendon Member

I think the stills will be excellent once the camera works properly just that its obviously only an ultra wide lens and you cant see what you are shooting or zoom in.
    I am lucky enough to have a semi retired Canon 30D dslr body that I am prepared to risk on the yak when I think there will be something worth photographing .The difference in autofocus speed, sensor size,frame rate and reach makes it much more likely I can catch something like this which a point and shoot would have missed.(although the autofocus was playing up at the time this photo was taken and I am not that happy with it)

[​IMG]

Anyway I have till May before I return to where the above photo was taken to see how things pan out with the gp3black.
    I will be very interested to hear what you purchase and how it works for you.
    Cheers Brendon

5. USAntigoon

USAntigoon New Member

Thanks Brendon for the update.. indeed will keep you posted. I am following very closely what is expiring with the Hero3 launch issues..
    I also have a Canon 10D DSLR but that is too bulky and risky for our kayak outings..The other Canon we have is a Powershot SX40HS, a very nice camera, unfortunately this belongs to my wife...!(I don't plan on taking this on the kayak without putting my 45 years of marriage in jeopardy :rolleyes: )..
    I admire all the upgrades you did on your kayak, thanks for sharing and last but not least congratulations for a job well done..(Love the pic you posted)
    Enjoy the Christmas down under...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  6. USAntigoon

USAntigoon New Member

@ Brendon
    Couldn't resist the "sale price" for the TG-1-iHS at Best Buy...and combined with all the issues the GoPro Hero3 is having, the decision was obvious..Will settle for the TG even without the remote. Indeed the self timer mode stays in the desired setting of 2 sec or 10 sec after each shot and comes back to the selected time after powering off and on..
    First tryout shoots are great and the controls are simple..

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  7. TeamOrange

TeamOrange New Member

Hi. I'm new here but wanted to chime in. I got the Pentax waterproof and replaced it and neither one was waterproof. Don't get me started. But I ended up with the Olympus TG-1 and LOVE it. You can select a few features such as self timer to retain in the memory after you power it down. Also, look for the fisheye lens attachment, a neat, high quality wide angle lens that takes great pictures too. I have some examples I can post a link to if you're interested. But I love this camera.