1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loving the 8' ParkNPole

Discussion in 'ParkNPole' started by MrWndrfl, Sep 6, 2012.

1. MrWndrfl

MrWndrfl Member

I just received my 8' ParkNPole and I can't wait to break in it in this weekend. The added length will be useful for waiting outside the grasses to ambush a nice Red. Overall, it is very light for its weight but it seems to have enough mass to penetrate the sea bed.

IMG_1028(4).jpg IMG_1026.jpg

Thanks Luther and thanks YakAttack.

2. Lt.FireDog

Lt.FireDog Administrator

SOOOOOOOO, how did you did you like it??

3. MrWndrfl

MrWndrfl Member

I have been on the water 4 times since I got it. I am certainly happy with it's light weight as it is quite long and I have to maneuver it around my fishing poles when they are upright. I have not done much anchoring yet, but I did test it out on the different lagoon beds. It worked like a champ in the grasses and oyster beds but I did have trouble getting it into some of the more solid areas (this may happen with other but I don't really know).

I did do a good bit of pole pushing and this is where the 8' really came into play. Longer length=less lifting out of the water=less splashing and more comfortable movement when you are sitting.

As soon as I get my Hobie AMAs, I will try some standing in my Revolution and perhaps the 8' pole will make stand up pole pushing possible.

4. MrWndrfl

MrWndrfl Member

8' ParkNpole came in useful this past weekend. Out in the Mosquito Lagoon, oyster shoals come out of nowhere. I was out doing a non-fishing workout and was moving pretty quick, with the current. I spotted a shoal, got jammed in, and was unable to paddle. I found that I could maneuver out much easier with the ParkNpole vs paddles as the strong current was forcing me towards the shoals.
    I would say that I avoided some serious gashes and I plan on carrying the 8' pole on all my trips.

5. MrWndrfl

MrWndrfl Member

Two more trips with the ParkNpole and the wife will, no longer join me on the flats without one.
    We spend a lot of time on the grasses of Mosquito Lagoon with average depths of 6" to 24". In the shallowest areas, I have found that pole-ing not only reduces fish scare but it also reduces stress on the grass.
    Paddling through the grass does rip up grass. Pole pushing reduces this impact and really moves you through the shallows.
    As a result, we now have 2 ParkNpoles one 8' and one 6' and I believe this will result in a happy marriage

6. Lt.FireDog

Lt.FireDog Administrator

Good report(s)! [​IMG]

7. MrWndrfl

MrWndrfl Member

Another observation...

With the fall season in full gear, I have recently been challenged with some pretty strong winds (steady 20-25 mph) and this has really been a challenge for kayak anchoring options.

Here are a couple of things I have done which have resulted in better anchoring, better place keeping and a better experience on the water:

-I attach to pole to the line using a Velcro strap which I try to slide as close to or below water level so that leverage is reduced and the pole remains securely placed. The strap can also be removed quickly for poling in the flats.

-I have stopped using shock-cord and started using 3/16 rope as the shock-cord continually stretches and retracts in high winds and this creates a significant challenge when fishing.

If anyone has any rudimentary tips similar to these, it would be great if you could post them.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012