1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mighty Mount Install

Discussion in 'Mighty Mount' started by GlockGuy, Mar 3, 2012.

1. GlockGuy

GlockGuy Member

This thread details installing a few Mighty Mount units on my '08 WS Ride 135. However, the procedure works for ANY kayak.

[​IMG]
    o Step One – Assemble all the tools and supplies that you’ll need.
    o 5/32†Hex bit & 5/32†Allen wrench
    o 7/16†combination wrench & 7/16†socket/wrench
    o Electric Drill and bits
    o Waterproof anti-seize compound

[​IMG]
    o Step Two – Decide where the Mighty Mount/ PAN-Fish Rotating Camera Pole should be mounted.
    o Ensure that your kayak is rigged as it would be in use so that nothing interferes with anything else. (BEWARE THE SWEATY MAN!)

[​IMG]
    o Step Three – Once you’ve decided where the Mighty Mount should go, clean the area well.

[​IMG]
    o Step Four – Choose the appropriate drill bit.
    o I chose a slightly undersized drill bit for the bolts provided. I did this so that the threads of the bolt would create corresponding threads in the hull. This makes it unnecessary to utilize any sort of sealing compound, as the fit is tight enough to prevent water entry.

[​IMG]
    o Step Five – The most accurate method of attaching the Might Mount is to drill the first hole, using a Mighty Mount hole as a guide. Secure the Mount with a bolt, and then use the Mighty Mount holes as a guide for holes 2, 3 & 4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    NOTE
    DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN BOLTS.
    The bolts only need to be finger tight. You will be securing them with nuts later and if you over tighten them, you will strip out the threads that you have created in the hull.

[​IMG]

o As seen here, the bolts fill the holes in the hull completely. There is no need for any sort of silicone sealant, as there is no path for water to enter.

[​IMG]

o Step Six – Since the fasteners are stainless steel, it is essential that some sort of anti-seize is used on the threads of the bolt to prevent galling when installing the washers and nuts.

[​IMG]

o I was a bit liberal in my application of the anti-seize, but I was doing this by feel, not sight. No harm, no foul.

[​IMG]

o Step Seven – Install the washers and nuts.
    o While I used a 5/32†bit and driver to install the bolts, I chose to use a 5/32†Allen wrench to hold the bolts while I tightened the nuts, as I REALLY didn’t want to strip the threads that I had created in the hull. The Allen wrench gives me greater control. Additionally, I applaud Yak Attack for using Allen-head screws, as this tends to deter theft. Most folks don't carry a 5/32" Allen wrench with 'em!

[​IMG]

o Install the PAN-Fish Rotating Camera Pole in the Might Mount base.

[​IMG]

o Now, it’s time to choose a location for the Mighty Mount and the PAN-Fish Portrait.

[​IMG]
    o Because I can’t get to the back of the stainless steel bolts provided in the kit, I went with stainless steel machine screws of the same size.

[​IMG]
    o I chose a drill bit that is just under the size of the shank of the screw, if the threads were removed. This screw is too large to install without predrilling, but I wanted to leave enough material for the threads to grab and hold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    o As before, use the holes in the Mighty Mount as a guide and drill the first hole, fill it with a screw and move on to the next hole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    o The finished products(s)!

Any questions?
    [​IMG]

2. Striperguy

Striperguy New Member

Thanks Glockguy, I like your detailed photos. They really help with my entry level decision making. I think I will just order a few items from Yak Attack and then sit in the kayak (Cuda) and try to figure out what goes where. I have a lot of ideas, so now is the time to get off the computer and get going.

3. GlockGuy

GlockGuy Member

Glad the tutorial helped. The point is to show folks that ANYBODY can do this stuff with normal tools and abilities. Be sure to post up pics once your done!

4. Fish Taco

Fish Taco New Member

Excellent post Mike! Great photos and a thorough install!

5. robchoi

robchoi New Member

Good stuff.

Love the shirt!

6. GlockGuy

GlockGuy Member

The back is covered with a HUGE YakAttack logo. Luther has talked about getting more made, but the challenge is to keep it "Made In America."

7. GunnyJ

GunnyJ New Member

That is a nice Set Up you have there I see I have a lot of things I could also do now Thanks
    GunnyJ

8. USAntigoon

USAntigoon New Member

Being new to this forum as well, I can only share with you that kayak rigging with YakAttack stuff becomes very very appealing and addictive....