1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick release camera mount for Panfish or Dogbone?

Discussion in 'Mounting Systems' started by Jeff Little, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Jeff Little

Jeff Little New Member

I have an old beat up tripod that I won't give up because of one feature. The part that screws into the camera is a small plate that quick clips into and out of a tripod. It allows me to switch from tripod to hand held and back again in no time. The screwing an entire camera into and out of the end of a Panfish each time I want to video or photo something close up, or in a different direction is a barrier to my doing it. I miss shots that I would take if it weren't such an investment in time to unscrew the whole thing. Anyone have any ideas?
    Here's a cheap one that has the "quick release mounting plate"
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=tripod+camera&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1760&bih=1054&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16621638565539035494&sa=X&ei=kufbT4-uAeOA6gGE5_2UCw&ved=0COoBEPMCMAI#ps-sellers

2. Shaun

Shaun Member

Hey Jeff I have cheap Wal Mart tripod that looks similar to yours. I just pulled it out and looked at the way it was made. The head assembly unscrews from the rest of the tripod. A screwball could be mounted to the head by drilling one 1/4" hole in the center of the head. Then the tripod head could be mounted to a panfish or a panfish portrait via the screwball.
    Here's a picture of the tripod head unscrewed and the 1"screwball being held as I would mount it.
    IMG_2430.jpg
    And a close up shot.
    IMG_2432.jpg
    The hole to be drilled would obviously be where my thumb is placed.

3. GlockGuy

GlockGuy Member

I agree that a quick-release of some sort would be a welcome addition, as long as it's still secure.

4. robchoi

robchoi New Member

I've had similar issues and mentioned it to Luther a while back. I'm sure he's thinking of something as we speak.