1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ram mount slips around the ball.

Discussion in 'Product and Technical Support' started by NOMADMAD, Jul 10, 2012.

1. NOMADMAD

NOMADMAD New Member

I've had a small problem here lately. My rod holder slips after it has gotten wet with salt water. I've looked around and read somewhere else that someone used some 40 grit sand papper to the inside of the clamshell that goes around the ball to help it grip the thin rubber that coats the ball. When the system is dry everything works as intended. Has anyone else tried this to keep it from slipping.

2. GlockGuy

GlockGuy Member

I've NEVER had one slip, but the sanding idea doesn't sound like a bad one.

3. The Nothing

The Nothing New Member

I've never had one slip either, but I know plenty of others that do sand things to prevent slipping

4. YakAttack

YakAttack Guest

Same here - never had the issue. Which mount and which rod holder do you have?

5. NOMADMAD

NOMADMAD New Member

Sorry guys haven't been on the site lately. Update on my issue I was haveing. It wasn't the equipment its what my son put on it and I can't get on to him for it since he was helping me in his own mind which anyone can make the same mistake. I was out putting some protective coating 303 on the boat and my son was with me. I went inside before I was done to get the phone so my son continue without me. I came out saw it was done was happy. He finished the boat and everything in the milk crate I had to the side which included my screwballs for my tracks on my boat and rod holders along with the flagmount. Had to soak and scrub with a super solution and everything looks to be better now. Almost lost a good rod due to this but nothing ever happened so all is well. Got to love kids.

6. GlockGuy

GlockGuy Member

Give the kid credit for trying! My 6.5 year old grandson was helping me rotate tires a few weeks ago. He learned how to use a socket w/a speed handle and we got to have a lesson on cross-threading. God bless him for being out there in heat over 90 degrees helping me, especially at that age! :D

7. YakAttack

YakAttack Guest

Glad you found the issue!

8. Hammerhead

Hammerhead New Member

Glad you found the issue.

I do have issues when large stripers take lures that I am trolling. Part of the issue is I tend to set the drag higher than normal trolling setting as I may have to drag the fish off the rocks to fight it safely, and stripers have a hard mouth. The sanding helps a lot, and I've even added some 3M Weather Strip Adhesive to the inside of the clamp. It dries to the touch and leaves a rubber cement type coating that does not slip but makes it a B!tch to adjust.