1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rod holder screwball??

Discussion in 'General Kayak Rigging' started by Jason Baker, May 5, 2016.

1. Jason Baker

Jason Baker New Member

Native ultimate with rear rod holders, these rod holder face straight back. For trolling I want something to face more to the sides, I dont like my holders in front of me in the gear tracks of a ultimate?? gets in the way.

I want to put something like the dogbone IN the holder, and with the screwball there I can attach rodholders facing out like outriggers???????? That is the idea anyhow~

Anybody done this? or something similar? is there a better yakattack product for this scheme?!

My first post on the forums - should say hello! !

Hello!

Jason Baker

2. Yak Chum

Yak Chum Administrator Staff Member

Hello Jason,
    Welcome to the forums!!

RAM Mounts makes exactly what your looking for. A wedge adapter to fit insude the flush rod holder with a ball on the end. The wedge will not slip out. Then using your favorite ball mount RAM rod holder of choice you will have outriggers.

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-354-162U

3. Jason Baker

Jason Baker New Member

AWESOME, Thank You - found it ordering - -

4. STLKayak

STLKayak New Member

I find those old integrated rod holders to be about as useful as a prehensile tail. They had their place, years ago, but technology and innovation has passed them by. I am sure some use them, but on my Hobie, they just take up space in the rear well that could be used for a larger cooler, or more gear, just about anything. Instead, they sit there filling with water.

I bought a Hobie version of an articulating rod holder that fits in the integrated tubes, and actually do not like them at all - they move around way to easily - and you have to strap them in to make them stay in place. I have the H-Rail version of the same rod holders, and like them a lot, they are rock solid. I am thinking that I might take a cue from you and go with a couple of RAM ball inserts, I hear they are rock solid when in place, and a couple of Zooka Tubes rod holders.

5. Yak Chum

Yak Chum Administrator Staff Member

Yeah the Wedge mounts wont move at all when inserted and tightened down! You can also get them with a 1" ball for other accessory's if you don't want to use them for rod holders.