1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratched up the anodized coating on my GT90s.

Discussion in 'Product and Technical Support' started by MrWndrfl, Nov 16, 2012.

1. MrWndrfl

MrWndrfl Member

I was recently swapping out some 12" GT90s ,on the forward gunwale of my kayak, for some 16" GT90s and I managed to strip the screw heads. I ended up having to drill out some screws and really hacked up the surface of the 12" GT90s.

My plan was to use these on another kayak but I am now concerned that, given the fact that 99.99% of my kayak outings are on salt water, the lifespan or functionality of these tracks may now be so short that they may not be worth installing on the other kayak.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who has experienced a similar dilemma and I welcome YakAttack's take on this.

Thanks,

Mike

2. YakAttack

YakAttack Guest

They will actually last a good while with no coating. The scratched areas will chalk a little as they oxidize but it will take a long time to become serious. You can prolong it longer by rinsing them after coming off the water.

3. Aussie yakker Brendon

Aussie yakker Brendon Member

Hi Mike ,
    I used to look after float planes operating on saltwater which are made from aluminium .For surfaces that were not painted we would use a waxy film inhibitor such as lanolin spray http://www.lanotec.com.au/ or LPS 3 or LPS Procyon (there are a large number of other types as well).
    These work very well and last several months between apllications .The coating will wipe off with any kind of petroleum based solvent .
    If you know an aircraft mechanic he may be able to dip them in alodine (chromic acid solution nasty stuff..will leave the metal a straw colour)for you which is not as good as anodizing but should help slow things down.
    Cheers Brendon

4. MrWndrfl

MrWndrfl Member

Thanks for the input. Theses are some pretty good dings (think spoon in a garbage disposal) so I will certainly sleep better if I use something like the lanolin spray.
    In my case, this is a lesson learned on using the wrong tool for the wrong job. Luckily, I can put these GT90s on our Oasis which will be swapped out in a couple of years for the PA (counting the days).