1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something Different with GearTrac

Discussion in 'GearTrac' started by Siebler, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Siebler

Siebler Administrator

Paul Lebowitz called me last week asking if I could help him figure a way to mount a folding chair on his Diablo Adios. The manufacture told Paul that they had been strapping it in however he wanted something more solid. Of course my mind went straight to YakAttack products.

Initial thought had me thinking 4 mighty mounts however since I had only seen this boat one time and hadnt payed close attention to the seating area I wasnt 100% sure. Well when Paul arrived on Sunday it turned out the Mighty Mounts didnt fit how I was hoping. Luckily however, the 8" GearTrac was PERFECT.

Ill let Pauls story speak for the rest of this.....

Written by Paul Lebowitz
    Tuesday, 14 February 2012 00:00

[​IMG]

A rigging accessory so simple, the only limit is the power of your imagination.

Do you have an example of crazy-good rigging to share? Whether it's home-built or fresh from your local kayak fishing shop, let's see your best work. Drop a line to editor@kayakangler.mag.com.

YakAttack's sturdy GearTrac accessory system mounts nearly anywhere. Envisioned by Luther Cifers as a way to add rigging flexibility to fishing kayaks despite a shortage of deck real estate, it's finding novel uses. For instance, this adjustable chair mount for the excellent Diablo Paddlesports Adios stand-up / sit-down kayak hybrid.

[​IMG]

Rigging maestro CJ Siebler of OEX Dive and Kayak Mission Bay conceived the idea when I brought Diablo's super-stable aircraft carrier in for a makeover. The Adios in Kayak Angler's test fleet is an early model. Since it's debut, Diablo owner Thomas Flemons discovered the Larry Chair fits so well with his original boat it might as well have been made for it. Pop in a Larry Chair and standing up and sitting down become trivial, angler comfort skyrockets, the paddling angle improves, and sight fishing is possible even from your keister.

But how to mount it for the most stable, rock-solid fit, while retaining the ability to remove it? A seat carries a hefty load of angler. Put too much pressure on too few mounting points and it might rip right out of the thermoformed plastic deck.

We considered using a foursome of YakAttack's compact Mighty Mount. Easy to place and easy to mount, they'd undoubtedly do the job. But if we went with the GearTrac, we'd distribute the weight over a larger area and gain a nice bonus - a seat that adjusts fore and aft, and removes without the need for tools.

Once the decision was in, the rest was easy - at least Siebler made it look that way. First, he drilled the seat frame and attached two lengths of 8-inch Gear Trac.

[​IMG]

Here's the crazy part. Cifers says the stainless steel thread forming screws that ship with the GearTrac need no backing in most applications - even this one.

[​IMG]

Here's the finished product. It defines rock solid - kelp, here we come! Here's a close-up look at the attachment points. They each use a MightyBolt - they slide along the grooves inside the track - and thumb toggle.

[​IMG]

Installation tips: Siebler improved the fit of the Gear Trac in the curved seat pan by using rubber washers along the inside edge. He also affixed the GearTrac to the seat first, then mounted it to the deck. That's it.

Now it's time to get catching!

[​IMG]

-------------------------------------------------------------

I wish we had better documented this however it was actually REALY easy. Biggest thing was to overdrill the hole sizes on the seat to allow for you to be slightly off center on that and also to allow for some angle on tracks.

Turned out rock solid! Thanks YakAttack for making something that is SO versatile!

2. BigYaker

BigYaker Guest

What a great idea!

3. Hammerhead

Hammerhead New Member

That's cool. Good Job

4. GlockGuy

GlockGuy Member

Another example of YakAttack versatility and thinking outside the box!

5. robchoi

robchoi New Member

Genius.

6. The Nothing

The Nothing New Member

Brilliant! Just using it to more firmly attach the Larry Chair was enough for me....

7. Juan Veruete

Juan Veruete New Member

There are a lot of folks transitioning to various SUP's ..for fishing. One fella I've fished with this fall was using a board on the Susquehanna.... gear tack could be a real "boon" to rigging these boards out for fishing.

8. Siebler

Siebler Administrator

Ive spoken with Luther a good bit about the use of YakAttack stuff on Sups as we are a full SUP shop having got into it right as they started gaining popularity. I will be plating with some stuff this summer for sure. Boards that are not epoxy or glass such as the Versa Board or the Adios obviously make things that much easier as far as rigging goes.

9. Doogie

Doogie New Member

Love it. This is exactly what I'd like to do for the Trident 13. Do you think the Larry Chair, and this attachment method will work?

10. MrWndrfl

MrWndrfl Member

I've seen a Diabolo on the Mosquito Lagoon with a similar set up.
    It's a sharp looking craft and the GT175s looked like they were meant to be there.
    It will be interesting to see how the YakAttack Products will be used on SUPs. Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

Mike

11. Shaun

Shaun Member

What a cool way of thinking outside the box!

12. Siebler

Siebler Administrator

I will answer that soon for you. We have been playing with a lot of stuff lately for SUPGear. Few of our guys are fishing the boards so we are doing some rigging!

13. Siebler

Siebler Administrator

You can definitely make it work in some way however on the T13 your COG is going to come up very high using that chair do to the placement you would have to do the tracks. I will take a closer look at it in the next week or so when I get Trident 13's back in stock.

14. Great Lakes Chris

Great Lakes Chris New Member

CJ,
    What happened to the photos you posted?

I love the idea and wanted to study it a little more, but the photos from your original post are gone.