1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking a look at the Panfish

Discussion in 'PanFish and PanFish Portrait' started by Rob Appleby, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Rob Appleby

Rob Appleby New Member

I spent a couple of days re-rigging my kayak, incorporating some GearTrac along the way. The positioning on the GearTrac was dependent on several factors. One of those was where to position my PanFish camera/video mounts.

The PanFish comes in two models, the standard PanFish and the PanFish Portrait. The biggest difference between the two mounts is the height, the PanFish coming in at 28†whilst the Portrait is considerably smaller at 6â€.

I'm going to take a quick look at the Panfish...

The PanFish was specifically designed for ‘over the shoulder’ video with lightweight cameras. This basically covers most point and shoot cameras up to a maximum weight of 1lb. The PanFish is basically a split mast with the top half able to rotate. The amount of friction experienced at this joint is adjustable, something that will no doubt prove useful after prolonged use and the associated wear and tear. It’s marketed for use with Scotty mounts, MightyMount and track systems, specifically the Wilderness SlideTrax and the GearTrac, though it’s also compatible with other track systems. Whilst looking over the PanFish I noticed that the MightyBolt (T-bolt) can be removed and replaced with a threaded RAM ball. Out of interest it’s also is a snug fit into most flush mounted rod holders. Clearly it has many mounting possibilities!

At the top of the PanFish is a 1†RAM ball and for a few extra dollars it comes ready equipped with a RAM camera mount, clearly this is the way to go. As much as it’s marketed as an ‘over the shoulder’ camera mount there’s no reason it can’t be mounted ahead of you. I took things one stage further and repositioned a flush mount rod holder (I never use them) so it was effectively positioned 90 degrees to the kayak. The PanFish is a perfect fit into the flush mount, in fact it makes a pleasing ‘popping’ sound when pulled out. So what’s so great about mounting it in that position?. Well it provides yet another camera angle, perhaps a more interesting one in my opinion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course it can be mounted directly into the GearTrac, MightyMount, etc. Fitment to either is quick and easy, taking only a few seconds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The PanFish has comfortable foam grips to rotate the mount when required. The foam adds buoyancy which enables the PanFish to float. I’ve not tried it with a camera attached, though I’d imagine that it’s still likely to float. The RAM camera mount makes for easy positioning of the camera helping you achieve the best angle for a photo or film.

2. n2bassfishing

n2bassfishing New Member

I was wondering how you had that off set. Do you know if you can add the Ram mount to the standard Pan Fish made for the Gear Trac?

3. Rob Appleby

Rob Appleby New Member

Yeah, you can unscrew the MightyBolt and fit a threaded RAM ball. However, I reckon it'd be more stable fitted direct to a mount with a MightyBolt. The Panfish slides straight into a flush mount, quite handy!!

4. n2bassfishing

n2bassfishing New Member

Yea, I'm sure it does slide right into the flush mount. I've got some Gear Trac that I'll be using in the back of my kayak.

5. Boogie-D

Boogie-D New Member

nice work Rob.. this is exactly the set up I have been looking for.... the first and second of your pictures is the most intresting angle i need... i ride a hobie so the mirage drive is usally in the way of a good forward view... this angle clears the mirage drive for a better view... I am going to order this exact set up... is the GoPro to Ram Panfish mount available here at YakAttack... also i am thinking to use the mighty mount with a 1 inch ball mount and a small ram mount like the one thats under your camera to mount the set up to the yak and to be able to get those angles.. what do you guys think