1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VISICarbon Pro - USCG certified?

Discussion in 'Visibility' started by TxSpeedster, Jul 6, 2016.

1. TxSpeedster

TxSpeedster New Member

Is the VisiCarbon Pro USCG certified?

I purchased the VisiCarbon Pro and have been satisfied with it so far, but have recently found out that it may not be legal for use at night on either a powered kayak or a kayak at anchor. I looked all over the unit I have for the USCG 2NM certification and found nothing. The YakAttack site says nothing about USCG certification.

So is the VisiCarbon Pro USCG certified? And if not; why not?

2. Yak Chum

Yak Chum Administrator Staff Member

It is not USCG certified per say, but is within the guidelines for a boat under 16' in length. All that is required is a 360° light with no obstructions. Once you power a boat then its a fine line but I do believe you should have nav lights (red & green) and the 360° white light for an anchor light flared and a fire extinguisher..

Sorry for the delay on the response as I have been crazy busy relocating.

3. TxSpeedster

TxSpeedster New Member

Thanks for the reply. I upgraded my VisiCarbon Pro with the 4 LED module and have nothing but good things to say about it. I paddle non-navigable waterways (according to USCG definitions) for the most part so my kayak is good to go. However when I have recommended the light to others the certification issue comes up now and again.

Yak Chum likes this.