1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your BlackPak

Discussion in 'BlackPak' started by YakAttack, Jan 25, 2013.

1. rbenash

rbenash Member

Wow brother - the searches look exactly the same. Don't need much of it so $$ not an issue in this case. Thanks much for the translation!! LOL - have you seen the prices of a Torqueedo U403 kit? The price of this retrofit for the mount on the Ride 115 is the least of my concerns. Want to make a nice well engineered install. The fact that this matches the Blackpack material is cool IMHO. I want to install a shelf in the storage area that's left after mounting the Blackpak so that I have an optimal point for installing the boom mounting ball for the Torqeedo. This will add a nice looking shelf, underneath it I will toss the Torqeedo battery. I'll have some deck space on top when in use and a good platform for additional tie downs, etc. I just need to make some aluminum L brackets to mount inside the well in this area and the plate made from this material should be pretty nice and flush to the top surfaces. Going to draw out a pattern today then order some material. I have enough shop and tools to work the plastic.

BTW on another note got a nice rock guard (Like Jeff Little's) for the 403 motor this week from Dwayne at Double D welding in Taneytown, MD. The guy does nice work and I'm really thankful that Jeff pointed me/shared the source. I also finished all top surface silent traction material install this week to keep things silent and adding grip as I try standup fishing. Things are shaping up nicely but the sweet spot season is hitting and I might have to finish out fitting this hull towards the end of the season. All good. I've got a ton of great input from the river smallmouth fishing community that has seriously ramped my move to SOT after selling my to heavily modified SIK's that I was using for the last 10 years :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  2. rbenash

rbenash Member

Seems to be dead -Said I would post some photos. Here's a url to my Blackbox as well as U403 integration into my 2013 WS Ride 115.

Without the U403 installed the deck hanging off the back of the Blackbox is gone and of course all of the motor stuff.

Straight up (U403 not attahced) the Blackbox with those expansion latches, which are not visible is fine.

I got that idea for the latches from another post on this site.

Those latches work great and have had a 3 day intensive trial on the Juniata in PA. 3 straight days of smallie chasing, about 120 or so with a couple 19" and one 20" for me. So the blackpack setup is a done deal.

Those latches make the Black pack easy to install/remove and they hold it tight to the bottom of the hull behind the seat. You can even lift the boat up from the ground using the cutouts on the Blackpack without issue. Not that you would normally do that. Just saying - it's not coming off even if you roll over.

The photos are more to show my first prototype of direct integration of a U403. Up and dry on the stands it fully centered off the stern, the motor is behind the keel. Rock guard struts just need to be bent now to be horizonatl to the bottom of the fin on the motor. The deck off the back of the Blackback is very sturdy. I just need to finish and build the final deck to allow for screw mounting into existing holes in the hull that were intended for the factory bungee mounts. I will expand the plate outwards to accomodate that.

IMHO it would work fine as is with a few screws into the hull but I want to make it right. The center mount holes you see would be if you wanted to use the motor along with the rudder. Motor locked in single postion and port side (left) of center.

I'm not going to do that as I found a great way to utilize a direct drop in with the cables from the rudder as shown in the photos.

I also made a custom plate for the controller. It's shown rear of the seat, but with the expansion cables I can move it to the forward if I want. I'm really thinking I will keep it rear of the seat as I don't think I will need to look at that controller screen all that much.

I like that I can remove the rudder - quickly connect the existing controls and use the exiisting rudder control runs for raising an lowering the motor just as I would the rudder.

Some of the challenges with this hull and the motor mounting should be obvious. PM me or post with questions. I wish the boom and the motor pylon were a couple inches longer each. You can see from the
    photos that I'm out of adjustment there. I talked with Torqueedo and they don't offer extneded lengths. I may make my own but not critical since as it stands I'm set up perfectly. The down lock position is a good
    inch from the keel with the rock guard mounted and the motor is about where I want it from a vertical perspective.

I just need a few more hours - but need to stop and go pond fishing on Cape Cod this weekend. Was hoping to trial up there - but just not ready yet.

Here's the photos:

http://s80.photobucket.com/user/rbenash/media/Fishing/Ride 115_U402 P1/P1020427.jpg.html

Need to stop working on the boat and do some fishing. I'll post again once I finish the mounting deck version 2. Pretty easy now that I have a pattern from the first prototype.

You can also see some of the silent track material in the photos - another story. Saved my patterns for everything.

Ray

3. GlockGuy

GlockGuy Member

Mine has 5 rod holders, installed so that the bottom of the BlackPak is up off the floor or the tank well. My Hawg Trough clips are installed and I have a small piece of Velcro to make it easier to move the bungee that holds the top closed. GTSL mounted to the rails is the perfect place for my VISICarbon Pro and a camera mount (in this case, the YakAttack PANFish Portrait.) I also added some CONSeal (formerly STS) inside the lid so that it won't bang when I close it.

Update 3/10 - I put some NITEStripe reflective pinstripe around the upper edge for more visibility. I added a strip of green leds from SuperNova Fishing Lights to the inside in case my VISICarbon Pro light is not on somehow. And, not shown, I have stickered it up pretty well!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  4. rbenash

rbenash Member

Would be nice if YA would make clips for this bump board. I like these as they are smaller, collapsible, and float.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Expandable-Bump-Board-8-36-Inch/dp/B00469CMSY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372101259&sr=8-1&keywords=bump+board

I like Hawg Trough markings better though, but I just highlighted with sharpie for visibility in photos. Right now though the Plano slides well enough to the side of the Blackpack when not in use. The Hawg Trough was just too big to fit back there (Ride 115 rear well) without being in the way. Would have to keep it in the hull.

P1020473.jpg

With it's mouth closed and the tail pinched this one actually touched 19" :cool:

I checked the Plano Board for accuracy with a rule and the markings are on the mark.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  5. Nas

Nas New Member

blinged Black pak IMG_0787.jpg IMG_0780-2.jpg IMG_0776.jpg IMG_0770.jpg IMG_0769.jpg

6. Lt.FireDog

Lt.FireDog Administrator

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  7. MrWndrfl

MrWndrfl Member

Nice work all!

8. rbenash

rbenash Member

Really nice vertical style solution - really cool. I'm river fishing which means a more horizontal solution since river folks need to get under trees/overhangs. I do especially like the vertical approach inside the Blackpak. Awesome.
    I am on the final/4th prototype of integrating torqueedo u403 into my WS Ride 115. My last and final challenge is final attachment of the custom deck plate behind the Blackpak, threaded inserts on the angle mount attachment (Blackpak to deck plate) and good, sound well rated electrical connectors for the motor and battery connection. I did a trial on this version below that was awesome on stillwater. This thread has been very helpful in jogging ideas. For moving water a low/horizontal profile is best. I've completed a pin to pin check on the 8 pin torqueedo connector and am in the process of picking something out of the Bulgin catalog to replace that little cap you see to the left of the hatch.

http://s80.photobucket.com/user/rbenash/library/Fishing/Ride 115_U403_P3
    http://s80.photobucket.com/user/rbenash/library/Fishing/Ride 115_U403_P2

My rod holders aren't on the Blackpak as I use a horizontal orientation.

Once I finalize I will be integrating the finder and create a plate similar to what I've done for the U403 controller.